CNY Solidarity Coalition
N E W S R E L E A S E
December 20, 2016
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For further information:
Andy Mager, 559-7058
Central New Yorkers to Deliver Petition Signatures to Rep. Katko
A new coalition of Central New York residents will deliver hundreds of petition signatures to Rep. John Katko’s office on Wednesday, December 21 at 4 pm at the Galleries, 440 S. Warren St, Syracuse. The petitions call on Rep. Katko to fulfill his campaign promise to “represent all Central New Yorkers.” Reminding Rep. Katko of his repeated opposition to Donald Trump’s campaign, the petitioners call on him to commit to eight specific points and demand that he work “to help Central New York and the United States to remain a place where all people can live freely and flourish.”
Aly Wane, an organizer with the CNY Solidarity Coalition and an undocumented activist in the community, said, “Central New York has such a rich history of standing up for human rights — the abolition and women’s suffrage movements and much more. Now is a time to build on that tradition to resist the worst impulses of the incoming administration.”
The petition was drafted by the CNY Solidarity Coalition, a new community-based effort to protect all Central New Yorkers from the dangers of President-elect Trump’s rhetoric, cabinet appointees and proposed policies. The Coalition grew out of an emergency rally on November 9 in Clinton Square to protest Trump’s election. Its members come from many segments of our community — unified by the need to stand up to the ever-evolving Trump-Pence-Ryan agenda and work in solidarity with those most likely to suffer increased discrimination, violence and oppression.
The CNY Solidarity Coalition welcomes new people to join its efforts. It can be reached at 315-472-5478 or CNYSolidarity@gmail.com.
Full Petition Text
Dear Representative Katko:
During your re-election campaign you promised to represent all Central New Yorkers.
You also regularly distanced yourself from Donald Trump, saying “there’s absolutely no way I can support him.”
As part of following through on the above, we ask you to commit to:
- meet with concerned Central New Yorkers regularly to hear about the ways that the President elect’s rhetoric and proposed policies threaten Muslims, refugees, African-Americans, Latino/as, Women, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people and others in our community.
- oppose legislation that would deny fundamental rights to people in our community
- support access to contraception and a woman’s right to choose
- actively promote meaningful federal action to combat climate change
- oppose cuts to Medicare, Medicaid, and the Affordable Care Act and expand access to health care for all Americans
- condemn extreme rhetoric, hate speech, and violence
- support free and fair elections by defending the Voting Rights Act and opposing any effort to deny any American the right to vote
- demand a foreign policy based on human rights, diplomacy and cooperation, not threats and intimidation
We oppose any agenda that threatens to turn us back on these issues. As our representative, we demand that you work with your party’s leadership and Democrats to help Central New York and the United States to remain a place where all people can live freely and flourish.